lunes, 22 de agosto de 2011

My 3 Favorite Twitter Tactics For Creating Fresh Traffic

Put on your thinking cap for a minute.  You read the headline and you are curious about generating more traffic for your website with Twitter.  But before we get to that,  I have a quick quiz for you.  What’s bigger in terms of revenue, Twitter or Popeye’s Chicken? No, not which one is more delicious.  Which one is bigger?Give up?  In 2011 Twitter is around $200 million in revenue.  Popeye’s Chicken is around $1.56 billion.  Winner?  Popeye’s Chicken. But do we care?  Not really.  Twitter has a challenge in generating revenue.  It’s brand is growing daily in influence while it’s bottom line is crawling along.  That will change in the years ahead, I promise.  You and I can leave the daily chore of making money for Twitter up to it’s executives.  Our focus is in leveraging the reach of Twitter to direct visitors to your website.Perhaps when it comes to biscuits and gravy, it’s tough to beat Popeye’s.  But when it comes to generating traffic for your website, Twitter has nearly every other free tool beat!Here are my 3 favorite tactics for creating daily traffic for free to my blog from Twitter.

1.  I leverage 10-20 minutes each morning over coffee to grow my Twitter following

How?  I use a tool called Tweepi.com.  I locate celebrities in my niche, and I follow their followers.  If someone is interested in Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser and The Doctors, then they might be interested in reading my diet and exercise blog.  I follow Tweepi’s recommendations to the letter.  I don’t aggressively over-follow, and I don’t churn.  I follow people Saturday to Thursday, and then on Friday mornings I flush anyone who isn’t following me back.   One of my niche Twitter accounts grew from 2000 to 4000 followers in a month with less than 15 minutes of effort a day.  This could be outsourced to your virtual assistant.  I like to do it myself on my IPad while laying on the couch drinking coffee while I get my morning started

2. I leverage other people’s Twitter followings through Triberr.com

I am a member of a tribe of bloggers called The More I Talk About It, The Bigger It Gets.  We use the automation of Triberr to repost each other’s most interesting content across all of our collected influence circles.  When I write a blog about The 5 Things Every Mother Should Know About Baby Slings it get shared with over 8000 followers of my collected tribe of mommy bloggers.  As we individually grow our Twitter lists the entire tribe benefits.   In June 2011 on one of my newer niche blogs Triberr was my #3 traffic stream just after Google and Facebook and ahead of both Bing and MSN.  Don’t underestimate this tool.

3.  I attempt to create a huge value proposition for my Twitter followers

I don’t post off topic junk, and I give my best articles and YouTube videos to my Twitter stream.  I realize that the true commodity that all bloggers are competing for is attention, and I do my best to give anyone who takes the time to click on a link in my Twitter feed the best experience in terms of return on their time.  This requires creating punchy headlines that are directly related to the article topics.  I also ask a lot of questions on Twitter that goes to surveys and polls.  That gets me competitive intelligence from the wisdom of crowds.  In return I compensate the Twitter follower with a freebie like an e-book or coupon.

Even though Twitter is not as large as you might guess in terms of revenue, it’s potential to give you more traffic is delicious in itself.  There is no magic bullet or hands-off automation system that delivers money to your PayPal account like the empty promises that you see in the ads.  But a mere 15-20 minutes a day building your following and then working on giving them unparalleled value is a winning formula.  If you want to follow me on Twitter you can find my marketing goodies